Kindles (excluding the Kindle Fire) are not capable of playing audiobooks. They are capable of playing Kindle format ebooks, but do not have the capability to download ebooks directly onto the device. This means that you will have to borrow an ebook using a computer first, then connect the Kindle to Wifi to download the ebook wirelessly. Please note that due to publisher restrictions, not every title is available in Library on the Go! collection.
You may borrow up to 5 titles at a time.
You must have an internet connection before you can begin.
If this does not apply to you, move on to the next section.
1. If you do not have an Amazon account, open your internet browser and go to www.amazon.com to create one. You can create an account by clicking Hello. Sign in Your Account in the top center right of the screen and clicking Start here.
2. Your Kindle arrives already registered to the account used to purchase it. If you need to change the registration, go to the Amazon Help and Support page at: www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html and search for “your Kindle version” and “registration” (without quotes). Find the guide to your Kindle version and follow the steps provided to deregister and register your account.
Downloading a Kindle Ebook:
1. Using your computer, open your internet browser.
2. Go to the Library on the Go! website at http://monmouth.lib.overdrive.com.
3. Click Sign In at the top right corner of the Library on the Go! page. Type in your library card number (without spaces) and click Sign In.
4. To search, type in the title of the book you are looking for into the search box and click the magnifying glass.
To browse, click on the genre of ebook that you are interested in.
5. Ebooks that are unavailable have a gray book icon in the top right corner of the cover. Click on the cover, then click Place a Hold to join the waiting list. When the book is available for you, you will receive an email notification. You will have 3 days to check the book out before you lose your place in line (unless you have automatic checkout).
6. Ebooks that are available for checkout have a dark book icon in the top right corner of the cover. Click on the cover, then click Borrow to check the book out.
7. Click Download and select Kindle. Click Confirm and Download. You will be redirected to the Amazon website.
8. Double check to which device the Kindle ebook will be delivered, and click Get Library Book. If you are not signed into your Amazon account, click Get Library Book and you will be prompted to select your device on the next screen.
9. Your ebook should be delivered wirelessly to your Kindle. Connect your Kindle to Wifi in order to download the ebook.
Returning a Kindle Ebook:
1. Go to www.amazon.com and sign into your account.
2. Tap Your Account.
3. Under Digital Content, click on Manage Your Content and Devices. Amazon will list the titles you have on your account. Ebooks borrowed from the library are denoted by the words Borrowed.
4. Find the title you would like to return and click the ellipsis (. . .) in the Actions column and then click Return this book. Confirm by tapping Yes.
Ebooks will automatically return themselves after the checkout period has ended. However, the information for the title will remain on your device and in your Amazon account until you delete it. You can remove these titles by clicking the check box to the left of the title and then clicking Delete.
For more free E-books try these websites:
www.gutenberg.org (for classics)