NOOKs (excluding the NOOK Color and Samsung Galaxy Tab NOOK) are not capable of playing audiobooks. They are capable of viewing EPUB format ebooks, but do not have the capability to download ebooks directly onto the device. This means that you’ll have to download the ebook to your computer first, then transfer it to your device.
Please note that due to publisher restrictions, not every title is available in the Library on the Go! collection.
You can borrow up to 5 titles at a time.
You must have an internet connection before you can begin.
1. Using a computer, go to www.adobe.com to create an Adobe ID. You can create an ID by clicking Sign In and then Get an Adobe ID. This is necessary to download ebooks and to transfer them onto your NOOK.
2. Go to www.adobe.com and search for Adobe Digital Editions. After clicking on it, click on the Download tab.
3. Click on and download Adobe Digital Editions. There is a Macintosh version (for Apple computers) and a Windows version (for Windows computers).
4. Once installed, Adobe Digital Editions will open up. If you are not prompted for your Adobe ID and password, click on Help, then Authorize Computer. Type in your Adobe ID and password, then click Authorize.
Once you have completed these steps the first time, you will not have to create an Adobe ID again.
Downloading an Ebook:
1. Using a computer, go to Library on the Go! at monmouth.lib.overdrive.com.
2. Click Sign In at the top right corner of the Library on the Go! website. Type in your library card number (without spaces), and click Sign In.
3. To search, type in the title you are looking for into the search box and click the magnifying glass.
To browse, click on the genre of ebook that you are interested in. Be sure to check under the ebook collections – your NOOK cannot play audiobooks!
4. Move the mouse over the cover of the book you are interested in.
5. Ebooks that are unavailable have a gray book icon in the top right corner of the cover. Click Place a Hold to join the waiting list. When the ebook is available for you, you will receive an email notification. You will have 3 days to check the ebook out before you lose your place in line (unless you have automatic checkout).
6. Ebooks that are available for checkout have a dark book icon in the top right corner of the cover. Click Borrow to check the book out.
7. Click Download and select Adobe EPUB. Then click Confirm & Download. Your browser may automatically save the ebook to your computer, or it may ask you where to save it on your computer. If the file is saved on your computer, it may display as an ACSM (Adobe Content Server Message) file – this is not the ebook! It contains the link to open the EPUB. Open the ACSM file and it will load the title in Adobe Digital Editions.
8. Click on Library in the top left of the Adobe Digital Editions window to return to your Bookshelf.
Transferring the Ebook:
1. Connect your NOOK to the USB port of your computer.
2. Your NOOK will show up under Devices in the left panel of the Adobe Digital Editions window.
3. Right click on the cover of the ebook you wish to transfer to your device.
4. Select Copy to device -> NOOK.
5. Once the ebook has been completely copied to your NOOK, you can remove your NOOK.
Ebooks in the public domain (provided by Project Gutenberg) are always available for checkout – these titles have no due date and don’t count against your 5 title checkout limit. These ebooks are only available in the EPUB ebook format.
Downloading a Free (Public Domain) Ebook:
1. Using a computer, go to monmouth.lib.overdrive.com.
2. On the Library on the Go! main page, scroll down to the center of the page, until you see a box that says Additional eBooks Always Available. Click on this box to access the public domain ebooks.
3. Once you find a public domain ebook, click Download. Your browser may automatically save the ebook to your computer, or it may ask you where to save it on your computer. Open the file and it will load in Adobe Digital Editions.
1. To return an ebook, open Adobe Digital Editions.
2. Connect your NOOK to your computer.
3. In Adobe Digital Editions, find the ebook that you wish to return.
4. Right click on the cover of the ebook, then select Return Borrowed Item.
Ebooks will automatically return themselves after the checkout period has ended. However, the information for the ebook will remain on your NOOK and on computer, unless you delete it. To delete the ebook, right click on the ebook, then select Remove from Library.
Last update: 2015/03